School Fuel is made up of an Executive Director, a Board of Directors and Officers, an Advisory Council, School Ambassadors and an ever-evolving volunteer force.
- Susan Mathews: Susan is the executive director and a founding member of School Fuel. Susan previously worked as an attorney in San Francisco and Washington, D.C. for several years. She received her law degree from Yale Law School in 1991 and her undergraduate degree from Ohio State University in 1988. Susan has been involved as a volunteer in public schools since she was a college student. Her favorite projects before joining the board of School Fuel have included working as a leader in a world events course for high school students, and serving as a literacy volunteer in an urban elementary school in Washington, D.C. Susan, her husband Christopher, and their three children have lived in Novato since 1999. Her children currently attend Sinaloa Middle School, Novato High School and U.C. Berkeley and have previously attended Olive Elementary, Lynwood Elementary, Hill Middle, and San Jose Middle. She has served in PTA leadership positions at each of her children’s schools. She has also served as a member of the NUSD Superintendent’s Advisory Team, and is an officer for the Marin County schools foundation known as SchoolsRule, Marin. Support for public education has been a family tradition in Susan’s extended family, which includes several public school teachers, administrators, and support staff.
Board of Directors:
- Sabra Drohan, Treasurer: Sabra joined the School Fuel board in 2013. She was born and raised in Tiburon, and has been a Novato resident since 1995. She has a bachelor’s degree in sociology and a master’s degree in education from the University of San Diego. She has taught 5th and 6th grade in the past, and is currently working in the private sector in business administration. She has been a very active parent with both PTA and site leadership council for several years. Sabra’s son attends San Marin High school, and her daughter is a student at Olive Elementary.
- Kathryn Hansen, President: Kathryn has been a board member since 2008. Kathryn previously was the Controller at Guide Dogs for the Blind in San Rafael for fourteen years. She graduated from San Francisco State University with a double major in Accounting and English Literature. She also completed the course work for a Master’s Degree in Taxation at Golden Gate University. Kathryn has three nieces and three nephews who went through the Novato School system and two sisters who work for the district. Kathryn has lived in Novato for eighteen years.
- Dale Kline: Dale joined the School Fuel board in 2010, and served as its president from 2011-2013. He is a veteran advocate for the children of Novato. His past experience includes positions on the boards of Novato Youth Soccer Association, (where he also coached and continues to serve as a referee), Novato High School Site Leadership Team, NHS Sports Boosters and NHS PTSA. He cherishes his most recent involvement in helping to establish the Academic Boosters adjunct of NHS’s PTSA as one of his fondest accomplishments. Dale was also actively involved in the Measure A Parcel Tax campaign and currently serves on the NUSD Parcel Tax Oversight Committee. Currently Dale works as the operations manager for a small family owned insurance company in Petaluma. Dale grew up in San Diego, less than 3 miles from the Mexican border, in a neighborhood known for being home to several of the oldest gangs in the country. He attended college at the University of California, San Diego, where he met his wife Joan. Together they moved their family, including sons Chris and Robert, to Novato in 1998. Their boys attended Lu Sutton, Hill, and Novato High School and are now attending college.
- Amy O’Connor, Secretary: Amy has been a board member since 2010. She graduated from California State University, Chico in 2004 with a degree in journalism and a minor in psychology. Amy currently works as an associate editor with Wells Publishing and has previously worked as an assistant editor for a trade publication and as an account coordinator in public relations. She has worked extensively with children over the years, including as a teacher’s aide for a kindergarten class, a pre-school classroom assistant and elementary school camp counselor. Amy has also interned with Big Brothers Big Sisters of the North Bay and currently helps out on the marketing committee for the organization. Amy and her husband, Tim, have lived in Novato since 2007 and live in the Bahia neighborhood. They have two daughters, and they are looking forward to sending them to Novato’s public schools eventually.
- Jennifer Treppa: Jennifer joined the School Fuel board in August 2011. She and her husband, Jim have two children attending school in Novato. Drew and Maya who both attend Novato High School and Maya. Jennifer has been active in her school community since her son started kindergarten in 2002. She has been on the site leadership teams at Lu Sutton Elementary and Hill Middle School. Jennifer is an active PTA member and served for four years on the Novato Unified School District Board of Trustees. Jennifer has a B.A. in Psychology from the University of California, Davis and received her law degree from Golden Gate University School of Law. Before becoming a mother and moving to Novato, Jennifer practiced law in San Francisco, advocating for clients on a range of issues including employment disputes, construction defects and civil rights violations.
School Fuel is fortunate to have student representatives from both high schools participating actively on the Board. These students serve for 12 month terms. They provide valuable insight and help recruit student volunteers for School Fuel events.
The Advisory Council’s function is to support and enhance the work of School Fuel’s Board of Directors by providing advice and counsel to the Board in areas such as fundraising, finance, investments, volunteerism, marketing/advertising and communications with the community at large. Advisory Council members act as a liaison between the Board and the Novato community. Advisory Council members also provide the Board with connections to local organizations, business leaders, etc. for the purpose of fundraising, volunteerism, and recruitment of new Board members.
- Sylvia Barry, realtor with Coldwell Banker
- Jeff Belingheri, Managing Partner, Bregante & Co., CPA
- Connie Benz, Director of Information Technology, NUSD and Former NUSD Trustee
- Mary Jane Burke, Superintendent Marin County Office of Education
- Berta Campos Anicetti, public health educator and former School Fuel board member
- Victoria Crawley, community leader
- David Gershik, Take2 Interactive, former School Fuel board member
- Kerry Mazzoni, Public Policy Advisor, former State Superintendent of Schools
- Regina Bianucci Rus, CPA and former School Fuel board member
- Edward Sangster, Partner, K&L/Gates, LLP
- Sarah Sangester, community leader and former School Fuel Board Member
- Elizabeth Sleath, community leader and former School Fuel President